Newfie Boil (Jigg’s Dinner)
This is an old traditional recipe and you will never believe how good it is!
Start by making the salt beef. You can buy it but I find it way over-priced…
about 1 1/2 – 2 lbs beef(a tough, fatty cut is best)
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 4 bay leaves
4 garlic cloves (whole)
- 1 medium onion
- sprig Rosemary
Dice the beef into large cubes.
Bring to a boil the salt, bay leaves, garlic and rosemary in enough water to just cover the beef cubes.
- 2 large potatoes
- 1/2 medium turnip
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 small head of cabbage
- The Family Table: A Newfie Jigg’s Dinner. (whatsfordinnerdaddy.wordpress.com)
- Comforting Slow Braised Beef Heaven (nesslisa404.wordpress.com)
- Slow Cooker Brisket (ambitiousoyster.wordpress.com)
- St. John’s restaurant owner promotes ‘nouvelle Newfoundland cuisine’ (canada.com)
- Newfie Diet and Tradition (busymindthinking.com)