2 Litres of Milk
- 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
Gently bring the milk to 200 degrees (just before boiling),stirring often to prevent scorching. Add the salt.
Once the milk is up to temperature turn off heat and gently stir in the lemon juice (a mild vinegar will also work but not give as nice a flavour).
- also added 2/3 Cup Sour Cream and stirred it in at this point (it makes a creamier cheese).
- other times I’ve added Roasted Garlic – depends what you plan to use the cheese for…
Allow the milk to set for about 10 minutes then pour into a clean towel or cheesecloth and tie off the ends to put a bit of pressure onto the cheese. Most of the Whey will be separated from the cheese at this point but allow it to set for 1 hour or overnight (in the fridge). I put a small weight onto the towel to get a little more of the whey out of it.
- You’re So Cheesy. DIY Fresh Ricotta Cheese Recipe! (cur8eur.com)
- English Pea & Ricotta Tart (williams-sonoma.com)
- Better-than-ever Cheesy Meat Lasagna Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Lemon Ricotta Mason Jar Cakes (brit.co)
- Nutritional Information for Ricotta Cheese (weightloss.answers.com)
- Florentine Manicotti Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)